4.05.2009

Love is all you need.


All you need is love.
All you need is love.
All you need is love, love.
Love is all you need.

-The Beatles

Today, in 2 separate events, I was told by long time yoga friends, where I am. At least in relation to yoga.

This morning, during brunch after I taught Blessed Movements at Yoga Barn, a friend (who I choose to keep anonymous) told me she considers me to be her teacher. She's been a teacher herself for quite a while, and is well-respected, and well-loved by her students. To be considered a teacher is an honor, although I shrink at the thought of it. I asked why she regards me as her teacher. One thing she said is my openness. Well. I strive to be open, as in warrior pose. To be open and vulnerable. I love saying that the practice is how to keep the heart open, even in hell.

Then at six in the afternoon, I met with another long time yoga acquaintance. She was in my prenatal yoga classes in my early days as teacher. She has gone to a lot of yoga classes of different styles. She's now exploring 'Street Yoga' and is going to a 5-day workshop with Sean Corn in California this month. She told me my 'style' is 'unusual' in a good way. That my 'style' speaks to her that no other style does. There's the seamless flow, she said, that felt natural. And the words I say during the poses are appropriately worded and seemed to address where she is at the moment. She asked me more questions how I got to where I am. The short answer is: teach what you know, teach what you practice, teach from the heart.

So where am I? I am comfortable with my 'style' whatever it is. I am happy that I connect to people's heart with that 'style'. But I don't know how that style developed. Except that I believe the Zen saying How you do anything is how you do everything. I believe that to live a simple life, one needs a simple philosophy. Mine happens to be: Love. Call it lovingkindness, or compassion. I just like to call it Love as taught by Jesus, the Buddha, and as the cornerstone of every major spiritual tradition. 

Love is the main message and intention in all my classes and my book. It is the quality I hope I radiate and incarnate in my daily life. 

How about you? What is your personal theology, your philosophy, that guides your life, your decision making, your speech, your actions?

Let us pray.  Standing, feet shoulder width apart, open your arms, lift up your heart, and softly say with conviction:

I love you, O God,
with all my heart
with all my soul
with all my mind and
with all my strength.

Give me the strength,
the wisdom, and perseverance
to love my neighbors
as I love myself.

Amen!

No comments: