4.08.2009

Gold stars, anyone?

Don't worry when you are not recognized, 
but strive to be worthy of recognition.
-Abe Lincoln

A friend shared with me that 'VERY few people in my life had truly recognized me.' And I echo that. We all like and want recognition. Some are more overt in collecting recognition, some keep it to themselves. But that's not our concern here. 

The question is: How often do I recognize others' accomplishments, contributions, good works, and other positive qualities? Because when we recognize others, we see their resemblance to ourselves. Because it takes one to know one. In a way, recognizing others serve us. Especially when we feel we are not being recognized. The Dalai Lama said: If you want to be happy, practice compassion. 

So if you want recognition, recognize others! 

But this week had been full of recognition for me. My books arrived from the publisher, and Amazon.com is finally delivering. A friend emailed me expressing her delight in receiving her copy! That's recognition! 

At my yoga classes, folks come to me to say "I've been taking yoga forever and had been with lots of yoga teachers. But you and your classes are special because of the seamlessness of the flow with the reflective words you say with the poses." Tonight, a teacher-in-training observed and said the same thing. That's recognition! 

Yes, I am on cloud 9 and I feel happy inside. But I know to be aware of the danger of recognition. I was brought down to earth by my divine office reading today from Hannah's prayer from 1 Samuel 2:

Do not pile boasting upon boasting:
Keep proud words far from your mouth,
For the Lord is the God of all knowledge,
And the judge of all actions.

Amen.



No comments: