4.13.2009

The Guest House Stinks!

THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
    translation by Coleman Barks

Right now 
this guest house is a bit messy. 
A truck load of dung 
was delivered on my doorstep 
without warning. 
Now I have to work on being grateful 
though my visitor is stinking up the whole house.

What present, what gift do you bring, O visitor?
What have you come to deliver?
Ahh. You don't feel like talking.
So be it, o stinky one.
Make yourself comfortable.
Make yourself at home.
You know where the door is.

Meanwhile, I must attend to my Landlord.
I want to be present to my Beloved, my God.
The Breath of fresh air in this house,
The Light when it is my dark night, 
The Song that reassures and rests my heart.
The Hand that upholds me always.

Excuse me while I kiss the sky!

2 comments:

Dianna Woolley said...

Sorry to hear about the dung but glad you are willing to share that here at "Praying".....

BTW - push aside the poop for a minute and revel in the idea that My bookstore called to say my "Book" (which is your book) has arrived:)

Roy DeLeon said...

If you want, ship it to me and I'll sign it for you. I'll pay for shipping. If you want to do that, email me and I'll send you my address. Thanks for your support, Sister!