1.05.2010

Lost in Wonderment






I am lost in wonderment
at the depth of his wisdom
when he subjects my secret life
to scrutiny and correction.


It is from some slight improvement
in my behavior
that I experience his gentle goodness.
It is from the reformation and renewal
of the spirit of my mind,
that is, of my deepest humanity,
that I perceive
his beauty and attractiveness.


From the consideration 
of all these taken together
I am overwhelmed
by his abundant goodness.


-Bernard of Clairvaux


For myself, I am overwhelmed by his goodness, I get lost in wonderment, sometimes, by simply walking up the stairs slowly, with all my senses open and active. It is as if I am on my way to the chamber down the hall, filled with fragrant candles and intoxicating music, where my Beloved hums my favorite heart song, while patiently eyeing the slightly opened door.


That's my hint to stop, be quiet, and slowly drink it all in. Feel the breath, feel the sensations in my body, including the achy and creaky parts... and silently say, I love you too, my sweet Lord. 


Ahhh. That brought tears to my eyes.


How about you? When was the last time you felt intensely loved by the Divine? What did you do when you felt it?


Here's a practice:


Do some free-form standing then seated stretches (or yoga poses). While seated, have a rolled towel or blanket on the floor behind you with one end of the blanket against your sacrum. Slowly lie down on your back with the blanket under your spine. Support your head so your neck is not compromised. Let your arms go on the side, palms up. Stay there for a while, breathing through your heart, focusing on the exhales, and imagining your heart getting more spacious and receiving God's Light and Love as you inhale. Enjoy this pose until you have your fill then take the blanket away. Lie on your back flat on the floor. Then finish with a short sitting meditation.


The spirit of Love is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
The spirit of Love is wondrous,
enduring forever;
The rites of Love are true,
awakening compassion.


More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
Sweeter also than honey and
drippings of the honey comb.


-Psalm 19, Psalms for Praying, Nan C. Merrill

2 comments:

Rebecca Johnson said...

What a great place to get lost! : ) Is that one of your daughters? Lovely. : )

Roy DeLeon said...

Yes. That's Marita when we were supporting Xenia as she was finishing the Seattle Marathon on Thanksgiving weekend.