6.08.2009

Live. Pray. Sketch.


Sketch: A rapidly executed freehand drawing that is not intended as a finished work, often consisting of a multitude of overlapping lines.

Live. Pray. Sketch. Modified from Thomas Merton's beautiful quote:

What I do is Live.
How I live is pray.
How I pray is breathe.

Lately, I caught the sketch bug. Bought a book, An Illustrated Life, showing sketchbooks of 50 artists. I started to carry a Moleskin sketch book and pen with me wherever I go. The sketch above was based on a photo from a Seattle Times photos of the week slide show.

As with the definition above, my sketch was a quick drawing, consisting of a multitude of lines, not intended as a finished work of art.

Maybe this life is God's sketch. Not done yet, simply a basis for the masterpiece-to-be. I can't wait to see the final product.

For now, I wonder how can I help the Artist create this masterpiece quickly? What do you think?

Praise to you, Divine Artist,
For it was you who formed my inward parts;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.

-Psalm 139


No comments: