5.18.2009

Lover man, oh, where can you be?



The night is cold and I'm so alone
I'd give my soul just to call you my own
Got a moon above me
But no one to love me
Lover man, oh, where can you be?

-Billie Holiday

Today, as I walked to lunch from my office to my favorite soup place, the weather was perfect: a little cool to the skin, and the sun was out. I heard myself whistle Billie Holiday's song, Lover man. Beautiful tune. 

Because of my daily prayer with the Psalms, most of the time what my faculties perceive turn into lectio (holy reading). When this happens, prayer happens, and delight and joy bubble up. Prayer for me is union with God. And who wouldn't be joyful to be present with the Divine. 

It helped too that the song sounded like something from the Song of Songs. I looked it up and wow...


Upon my bed at night
   I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not;
   I called him, but he gave no answer.
‘I will rise now and go about the city,
   in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.’
   I sought him, but found him not. 

How about you?  What popular songs meant for human lovers can you turn into songs between you and God? What would it feel like if you imagined that God is singing the song for you?

Seek His Face, said my heart.
And so I will seek Your Face,
O God.

No comments: